Summary/General Description Of Job:
The Water Plant Operator controls and maintains treatment plant equipment to clarify and disinfect water for human consumption. Performs laboratory tests for operational strategy and adjusts chemical feed rate settings to ensure compliance with EPA Primary/Secondary Drinking Water Standards.
Essential Duties & Job Functions:
- Operates and controls electric motors, pumps, and valves to regulate flow of water source into treatment plant and monitors all operational gauges to ensure proper plant operation.
- Tests water samples to determine pH, iron, manganese, free chlorine, and turbidity, using pH meter, colorimeter, and turbidity meters.
- Records data, such as water flow meters, chlorine feed rate settings, turbidity, and other lab tests.
- Injects specified amounts of chemicals, such as chlorine and potassium permanganate into water and makes necessary feed rate adjustments as water quality changes.
- Starts agitators to mix potassium permanganate and replenishes solution barrels when necessary.
- Pumps clarified and disinfected water into water storage tanks and distribution mains.
- Monitors panel board and adjusts controls to regulate flow rates and water storage tank levels.
- Backwashes filters when head loss is 6 – 10 psi differential or at a minimum every 96-hours.
- Repairs and lubricates machines and equipment using hand and power tools.
- Operates portable water-purification plant to supply drinking water during emergency contingencies.
- Observes variations in operating conditions and interprets meter and gauge readings at the wastewater treatment lagoon, and tests results to determine load requirements.
- Wears proper PPE for particular tasks being conducted at the time.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Knowledge of common safety practices and protective equipment used on a construction site.
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools commonly used in the construction trade.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Ability to work cooperatively and safely with others on common projects.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with minimal supervision.
- Ability to inventory and requisition supplies for water plant.
Job Requirements (Education, Experience, Professional Associations):
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.\
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Favorable National Agency Check w/Inquires (NACI).
- Ability to successfully pass any employment background check and/or drug testing on the contract
- Associates degree or equivalent trade school certification.
The successful candidate’s salary will depend upon qualifications and previous experience. Free Accommodation, Food (3 meals per day) and Round trip passage to home of record after completion of a 1-year contract.
Must have a valid Passport/Visa minimum of 18 months. Should not have any major offences with any law enforcement agency.