Position: Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Type Of Position: - Full Time (One year contract)
Summary/General Description Of Job:
The incumbent performs various functions and incidental services associated with maintenance and repair of an array of motorized and non-motorized vehicles and equipment, with special emphasis on heavy equipment. The incumbent performs these duties at a remote location on Ascension Island.
Essential Duties & Job Functions:
• Diagnoses and repairs electrical, hydraulic, chassis, and body services issues related to all emergency vehicles. Performs periodic maintenance and inspections in accordance with National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) requirements.
• Analyzes malfunctions, and repairs, rebuilds, and maintains power equipment such as cranes, power shovels, scrapers, paving machines, motor graders, bulldozers, pumps, compressors, and pneumatic tools.
• Inspects and tests fire apparatus, vehicles, and related equipment to ensure safe and efficient operating conditions.
• Operates and inspects machines or equipment to diagnose defects.
• Dismantles, cleans, and reassembles equipment using hoists, hand tools, and other equipment.
• Examines parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges.
• Replaces defective engines and subassemblies, such as transmissions.
• Tests overhauled equipment to ensure operating efficiency.
• Welds broken parts and structural members.
• Performs normal maintenance on shop equipment and maintains cleanliness of shop area as required.
• Serves as Fuel/Re-Supply Barge augmentee.
• Performs snow removal duties as required.
• Performs Emergency Response Team duties as needed.
• Performs related work as assigned.
• Common safety practices and protective equipment used on a construction site.
• Working cooperatively and safely with others on common projects
• Use of hand and power tools commonly used in the construction trade.
• Understand and follow directions.
• Communicating effectively orally and in writing.
• Working cooperatively and safely with others on common projects.
•Performing assigned duties in a timely, cost effective manner.
Job Requirements (Education, Experience, Professional Associations):
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Successful completion of a formal motor vehicle mechanic apprenticeship.
• A combination of equivalent training and experience may be substituted for formal apprenticeship.
• Five (5) years’ experience with heavy construction equipment.
• Four (4) years’ experience in a motor pool or commercial maintenance facility.
• Crane rigging/signal person certification.
• Valid state driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
• The ability to obtain maintain a National Agency Check with Inquires(NACI); or the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance at the Secret level, as applicable to the position requirements.
• Ability to successfully pass any employment background check and/or drug testing required on the contract.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a current US Passport.
• Previous experience working on a military installation.
• Previous experience working in a remote location.
The successful candidate’s salary will depend upon qualifications and previous experience. Free Accommodation, Food (3 meals per day) and Round trip passage to home of record after completion of a 1-year contract.
Must have a valid Passport/Visa minimum of 18 months. Should not have any major offences with any law enforcement agency.